Sustrans Big Pedal, the UK’s largest inter-school cycling, walking, wheeling and scooting challenge is back for 2021. This year it's takes place from 19 to 30 April. The UK's cycling, walking, wheeling and scooting competition for schools will see over 660,000 pupils taking part and learning about the benefits of active travel.
Sirius Academy West in Hull is just one school from our region taking part. We're sharing some of the brilliant ideas the school are championing on 'Big Pedal day' which is Friday 30th April.
Would any of these ideas work for a school near you? Maybe this is something for your school to think about for next year?
• Tracking system in place to record how students travel to and from the academy. Tutors to record. Data produced for specific cohorts.
• Bike Maintenance Marquee. R-evolution Charity Dr Bike. Students will need to book in prior to the date. Puncture repairs, brake maintenance, etc.
• Trailer of bicycles available within the PE Department for the day to use in lessons and part of an extra-curricular club.
• Cross-Curricular activities delivered in Year 7 and Year 8. Theme is based around active and sustainable travel.
• Parents encouraged to plan walking and biking maps with their children and practice this route in the week running up to the event.
• Challenge set to all students and staff to record a specific distance covered on the day; first stage of the Tour de France, miles to Wembley for the first England game in the European Championships, etc.
• Promotion of the Bike to Work and Fix Your Bike schemes with staff.
• Incentives for those that opt for active travel.
• Cycle Lane fast pass for break and lunch for those that adopt active travel for the day. Bicycle Breakfasts for those that choose to cycle.
• Pledge Challenge created for the week to support the Personal Development Pathway.
• Staff Champions to promote throughout the week. Those that already cycle, run or walk to work regularly.
The Big Pedal family competition is back for 2021! Snap a photo or take a video of the children walking, cycling, scooting or wheeling to school during 19-30 April and be in for a chance to win some amazing prizes.