P.A.U.L For Brain Recovery provides support and guidance for people affected by acquired brain injury (ABI). They work with each person to help them reach their full potential and overcome the subsequent challenges at different stages of their recovery.
Through the Tackling Inequality Fund from Sport England Active Humber awarded the organisation £3,680 to help them continue to hold Yoga and gym sessions for their members after the Spring 2020 coronavirus lockdown period.
The activities oragnised by P.A.U.L for Brain Recovery all aim to give service users the tools to manage the challenges of daily living following brain injury, thus helping them avoid falling in to crisis. A number of their activities, like Yoga, aim to reduce social isolation by enabling those affected by brain injury to take part in group activities, forge new friendships and become part of new social groups.
Due to COVID restrictions, being able to provide these sessions has been even more important than ever, as they have helped reduce social isolation, provided a positive focus and kept people active.
The funding enabled the organisation to run 15 yoga sessions (attended by 56 service users) and 16 gym sessions (attended by 35 service users).
The money also helped fund vital equipment to make their venue Covid-secure - including social distancing stickers, plastic screens and hand sanitising stations. This meant that the organisation could open safely to small numbers and resume face to face activity.
Some comments from those who attended the sessions;
• “Can’t thank the PAUL charity enough. My community physio was stopped as soon as lockdown was announced and without the bespoke yoga and exercise sessions I would’ve really struggled to maintain the physical progress that I’ve made. The sessions are amazing and adapted to meet personal health and mobility needs - I always feel included and inspired.”
• “The guided meditation aspects of the yoga sessions have really helped me emotionally especially during periods when unwell - the breathing techniques in particular have been a source of help and I use them every day as a result.“
• “Due to the COVID virus, my time at PAÚL has been limited but yoga has already helped me with helpful physical advice and relaxation techniques. They provide a friendly and welcoming service.”
• “The best gym session for me today – really enjoyed it. Thank you so much!”
• “The reasons I attend the gym, it’s something I find I’m naturally good at so creates huge confidence in myself and it also challenges my anxiety physically and mentally.”
• “To me going to the gym means getting into a healthy routine, building up strength and getting out and about doing something different.”
• “Really enjoyed the yoga, it's nice to have something to look forward to each week now, and really enjoyed the video chat at the with everyone, nice to see some faces.”
• “I felt it went really well. I enjoyed it very much. Thank you.”
• “it was really good, I was having a bad day yesterday so needed it, definitely feeling better today after the yoga though!"
• “just to say really enjoyed yoga thank you."
• “Thanks for the yoga guys.”
• “Can’t thank Nathalie, Paul and Michelle enough for the yoga session and also the time to talk together afterwards xxxxx. Needed this so much emotionally right now. So huge thank you xxxxx”